Sunday 4 October 2015

Migration to El Capitan

This time around, I wanted to install a new OS from Apple as a pristine version and install/migrate my apps across as needed.  My current idea is to do this using the following method:
  1. Create a virtual machine under Fusion 8 with 800G of disk space and install El Capitan on it as a new OS release.
  2. Personalise it as if it were a new machine with iCloud accounts etc.
  3. Migrate any new software across via installs and not using the migration assistant.
  4. When happy, attach an external disk and create a time machine backup.
  5. Install El Capitain on by main partition, and the use migration assistant to migrate from my virtualised machine.
Of course, I will be having extra backups around of my original machine, in case things go worng (sic) backed up via Carbon Copy Cloner and Time machine, so if it all goes pear-shaped, I'll be able to revert to a working Yosemite build and then try again.

I'll be posting any issues that I have as I encounter them with, hopefully, the resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment